Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Throwin' some Catholic Kleinballs

In honor of Day #1 of World Youth Day (which really should be renamed as World Youth Week):

The annoy legislation has been reversed! Upon hearing this joyous news, I immediately went out and showered pilgrims with condoms. And if this makes absolutely no sense to you, please read my last post. (Just don't want anyone to think that I'm a complete lunatic.)

Walking down the street during lunch today, I was struck by how many Americans I saw, from places such as Montana, Minnesota, Brooklyn and beautiful Elizabeth, NJ. Which got me thinking -- in the past ten months, I think that's the most Americans I've been around.

Overheard two strangers having a conversation:
- Guy with what sounded like American accent: I'm waiting to see if anyone from my country's going to walk by!
- Aussie: Oh yeah? What country's that?
- Guy with what sounded like American accent: Puerto Rico!
I had to bite my tongue on that one.

Finally, it wasn't until I saw all these Americans (and, errrrr, the independent and fully autonomous Puerto Ricans whose, uhhhhh, "country" is in no way supported by the American government) and noticed the diversity among them that I was reminded of how overwhelmingly white Australia is. It's something you notice when you first get here, but I guess I had gotten used to it. But man, this country is crazy white, yo.

No comments: