Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bringing it full circle

Since I moved out of my parents' house in September 1999, I haven't lived in one place for any longer than two years. In fact, by my count, I've lived in 11 different places for at least three months each in five different cities, with a few more one or two month stays in various places sprinkled in for good measure.

And I hate it. No, the track record would seem to indicate otherwise, but it's true: I hate it. Really. I'm a creature of habit, a creature of simplicity. The way I see it, why should you up and move if you've found a comfortable place that you enjoy? And many of the places in which I've lived in the last decade have fit that bill. But still, I've managed to find my way into 11 places during this time, and each time I made a move, I guess I had my reasons.

Just like I have my reasons this time. Because yes, I'm moving again. Out of the amazing house in Maroubra and bringing it all full circle back to the apartment in Kensington that I stayed in when I first came to Sydney over ten months ago. For one of my friends is moving out of the apartment to travel the world, and my other three friends asked me -- nay, they begged me -- to move in. And being the great guy that I am, I obliged.

The last time I moved, you may remember I was torn between going to my current house in Maroubra and the house of some other friends in Kensington. Fortunately, in hindsight, I nailed that choice. NAILED it. For I've absolutely loved living in the palace in Maroubra for the last five months: great housemates, great house, great location. And my other friends in the house in Kensington? They got booted out of the place a month ago. Which would have left me up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle.

This time, when the opportunity presented itself, it also was no easy decision. Because as I said above, I love the house in Maroubra. But was this decision as difficult? No way. These are my best friends in Sydney, and that's a trump card that will overcome all. So come August 24, I come full circle, almost a year after I first came here. And I'm pumped.

No comments: