Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Subdued joy in Sydney


Jon Lester pitched the 18th no hitter in Red Sox history yesterday.
I wasn't even aware he had a chance to accomplish the feat until the start of the 9th inning. For I was at work. It was about 11:30am. But upon receiving this news, I stopped everything and spent the next ten minutes intently watching MLB.com's Gameday update every ten to twenty seconds. Just the way I've always imagined watching a potential no hitter from Sydney.
So what did I do when Lester finally got it? A big smile, a pump of the fist. I excitedly looked up, considered telling someone, considered getting a little fist bump action from someone, but it quickly dawned on me: it wasn't going to happen. Because by the time I may have explained it to someone, the moment would have passed. Long since passed.
I somewhat depressingly dwelt on this for about twenty seconds and then went back to work.
No one said there weren't any cons to living here.

4 comments:

reegan said...

(fist bump)

Andy said...

(tear)

Anonymous said...

(goulet!)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.