Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Throwin' some Election Day Kleinballs

Today was, and is, a big day.

Today was a big day because in Australia, the Melbourne Cup was run! As I so eloquently explained in my post about the race last year, this is a national event. Everyone stops what they're doing, loses their mind for an hour or two, gets boozy, places bets on horses that they hadn't heard of half a day earlier, watches the race, and then life goes on. Anyway, some horse won, I didn't win any of my bets, and that was that.

Today is a big day because in the US, there's a bit of an election. I doubt I need to tell you this. And I also doubt I need to tell any of the brilliant readers of this blog to get the hell out and vote! Even if the vote won't make a damned difference, like my absentee ballot in New York State, which likely will never even be taken out of its envelope.

For some election-related chuckles, have a look below at the wording of the headline above the picture of Sarah Palin on the front cover of Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald. And for a few more giggles, have a read of the accompanying article, and pay particular attention to how they quote poor Glenda Hock starting in the sixth paragraph.


A belated, but huge congrats to the Phillies for winning the World Series! I ended up running out of work for the last inning or two to watch from a sports betting office, and when they sealed the deal, I found myself standing there with a huge grin on my face. I couldn't be happier for the people of Philly. And for the rest of the country, just be happy to know that the apocalypse has been avoided.

I've seen two movies of note on cable in the last few weeks: Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Sleuth. The former was hilarious. I hadn't so much of heard of the movie whenever it came out, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The latter? Let's just say that if you ever have the opportunity to watch it, just run. Turn around and run.

In other Aussie news, the country is currently hosting the Rugby League World Cup! Although to be honest, this shouldn't interest you or anyone outside of Australia. Because the history of past winners of this World Cup, with Australia unfairly demolishing the competition, reads like the history of Ivy League men's basketball champs from 1958 to 2007, when Penn and Princeton reigned supreme. In fact, this might be the most one-sided international tournament out there, and I think the case could be made that it would be even more one-sided than a theoretical international World Cup of American football. Good stuff!

No comments: