Wednesday, February 25, 2009

And... we're back at it

Another weekend has come and gone. And although it's not like I went back to work on Monday, I'm still lamenting its passing. For it was a good one.

As prefaced here last week, Friday was our friend Jez's buck's night up in Newcastle. With the theme being red, Short, Maz, Yogi and I procured some hideous, bright red wigs to go along with our red shirts. Really, they couldn't have been more awful/perfect. Here are a few shots to illustrate:




Anyway, as I said in my last post, while I didn't know what we'd be up to at the party, I was positive that we'd (a) stop at Harry's and (b) get up to some shenanigans. Well... hmmmm. The first one very unfortunately didn't happen. And the second one? Well, I'm still not sure. It was very fun -- don't get me wrong -- but many of Jez's friends up in Newcastle are very religious. A ridiculous bachelor party* full of tomfoolery this does not allow for. But still. It was good.

*I did a very quick search on why it's called a bachelor party in the US and buck's night in Australia, and this is the best I could come up with... at least without consuming too much of my precious time. Other names around the world apparently include stag party, stag night, stag do and bull's party. Whatever.

HOWEVER, I found the Wikipedia entry on bachelor party/buck's night to be quite amusing. Especially the section on Australia. Consider: "The groom's mates often, after heavy drinking, subject the groom to various humiliations, sometimes in public. These often include leaving him tied naked to a pole or placing him on an airplane to a remote location. It has also been quite common to start the humiliation at the beginning of the night by dressing the buck up as a female or making him wear a 'mankini'."

Tying the groom naked to a pole? Placing him on a plane to a remote location??!? Making him wear a mankini???!??!?! HILARIOUS!! Clearly I did not experience your "typical" Australian buck's night. That is, of course, assuming the description on Wikipedia is accurate. Which it always is.


Saturday was a wash. Big time. Quite hung over, we drove back to Sydney and then did nothing. It was fantastic.

Sunday was Tropfest, the largest short film festival in the world. Broadcast simultaneously in open-air settings in each of the capital cities, it features 16 short films. The movies started at 7:30pm, but a few of us got down to the Domain (located next to the Botanical Gardens) by 3pm to get a good spot, soak up the sun and get our picnic on. It was good.

And now it's the week. Back to the job hunt.

No comments: