Saturday, September 1, 2007

Last day on Martha's

Wait, sorry. That was pathetic. This is for Sarah Ralph: LAST DAY ON MARTHA'S!

No, sorry. Still piss poor. One more time:

LAST DAY ON MARTHA'S!!!

Okay, much better. Let's proceed.

As I continue my detox from New York, I've spent most of the last three weeks at the Klein Family Compound on Martha's Vineyard. Which, needless to say, has been nice. Very nice. My days have basically been a hodgepodge of sleeping in, eating, seeing the family, dissecting the newspaper, eating, going to the beach, watching the sunsets and more eating. So much good food! Lobster, clams, scallops, swordfish... you could say that I'm on a bit of a seafood diet these days. When I see food, I eat it!!! Har har har. (Hmmm, works better when I'm telling it, not writing it. And even then, not so funny.)

But as time moves on, so must I. And today is my last day on the island. Fortunately, the three weeks here have done me well, as I'm leaving much more relaxed than when I arrived, with a crazy farmer's tan to boot. (For those I saw in Austin earlier in the month, the farmer's tan is actually even better now. Or worse, depending on your point of view. You may be wondering how that's possible, but believe me, it's real good. I can't wait to see how Australia accepts my White Trashiness.) Honestly, it's hard not to get relaxed here. Just take a look at this video below, which I filmed earlier today. This is what I've been looking at every day for the last three weeks. The horror.


So I leave on the 7:00 am boat tomorrow morning (fantastic) and slowly begin my trek west. And as you can see from this signpost that's outside of a store in town, I have a long way to go to get to Sydney. Ten thousand and ninety seven miles, to be exact.

On the way to Sydney, I stop in LA for about a week and a half. Should be good and should provide a little more relaxation and time to get my life in order. It should also be quite entertaining as the nerves start to build. I guess this is what happens when you move halfway around the world without any definitive plan. Gooooood times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is only 179 miles from New York to Martha's Vineyard? I should have gone there more often. I imagine it is quite a bit further from Ann Arbor to the VINEYARD. But luckily I am closer to Sydney...