Saturday, May 23, 2009

Throwin' some suspense-filled Kleinballs

I know you're just dying to get that last post on the Decathlon, to hear how it ended, right? It's been eating you up for the last few days, right? You've been compulsively checking for a new post every other hour, right?

Well, you're gonna have to wait until next week! MWAH-HA-HAAAAAA!!!

I moved to Australia just as the first season of Mad Men was going to air. And ever since then, I've been hearing nonstop from people in the US about how great -- how freaking amazing, how mind-blowing, how extraordinary, how G-R-E-A-T -- that show is. So imagine my delight when I found out the other month that it was coming to TV here. Finally I get to see what all the fuss is about! But six episodes in, well, I have to say that I'm having trouble getting into it. I really, really, really want to get into it, and I'm giving it every chance, even as my other friends are giving up on it. But it isn't hooking me; so far, I'd give the show a B-, at best. Someone please give me a reason to hang on.

If you had to sum up the vastness of our universe -- that concept and feeling that Contact captured so well -- in just a few pictures, I'd argue that this does the trick as well as anything I've ever seen. Just have a look. It will blow your mind. (Just be sure to enlarge the picture once it loads up on your screen.)

I love this picture:

I haven't linked to a Posnanski post in a while, so here you go. This is quintessential Posnanski: Quite skeptical that I'd have any interest in the piece as I started -- because honestly, who cares about some NASCAR writer from Charlotte? -- somewhere about halfway or two-thirds of the way through, I lost myself in it, as it really struck a chord. If I should ever repeatedly treat anyone as poorly as this guy treated Posnanski -- and I sincerely hope that never happens, but if it does -- then I can only wish that that person could still see past that, for who I really was, and write an obituary as sincere and heartfelt as this one.

In the words of a man who needs one-tenth the amount of words to convey the same thing as me, Kill the weekend. All of you.

No comments: