Saturday, November 3, 2007

Throwin' Kleinballs: World Series, friendliness, electrocution and erectile dysfunction

I was asked for a World Series preview in a comment from a few posts ago, so here it is: Sox in four. HAR HAR HAR! But really, what a great run. Nothing will ever top 2004, and watching them clinch the World Series in a roomful of apathetic Aussies wasn't exactly as exciting as perhaps it could have been, but that didn't stop me from walking around for the rest of the day with a huge grin on my face. And not to gloat, but I went a perfect 7-for-7 in picking the winners of each of the series before the playoffs began.

It's a little thing, but I am constantly amazed that people thank bus drivers as they exit buses here. And it's not a mumbled "thank you" as they walk by the driver on the way out; it's a full on "Thank you!" as they exit from the back of the bus. So friendly!

As a counter to this friendliness, here's a quote from the paper the other day, in a section where people can text in random gripes: "To the girl in the pink socks who farted in my face going up Town Hall stairs – you don't smell as sweet as you look."

Around 1am last Thursday night, I walked up to a bar with a friend. Before we even said a word to the bouncer, he says, "Sorry boys, can't let you in tonight." When we inquired why, he says, "You've clearly had too much to drink." Now yes, we had had a few. But were we visibly intoxicated, falling all over ourselves and being obnoxious? Not even close. I asked, "So you can tell we're that drunk just by looking at us?" "Yes." Yeeeaaaahhhhh, not sure how to argue that one.

Was pregaming at a friend's place on Saturday night, and played this game. One of the most entertaining, frightening and tense things I've ever done. I highly recommend it.

There are some great ads here, and my favorite by far is the below ad for erectile dysfunction. Have a look, but imagine you're watching this without knowing what it's for. Because when I first saw this, I was bewildered right until the very end, when it made all too much sense.



For those keeping track in the US, we moved the clocks forward an hour last weekend. Once the US moves clocks back an hour this weekend, it'll complete a two-hour swing. So Sydney will be 16 hours ahead of the East Coast and 19 hours ahead of the West.

No comments: