Thursday, November 22, 2007

The search continues

But no longer for the pumpkin puree. Fortunately, Katie (my American friend here) found some at USA Foods and has ordered enough for each of us to cook our own pies. Her pies will be edible. Mine? TBD. But at least it will contain puree! This is certainly a bonus, because from what I've learned over the last few days, that ingredient is somewhat essential to make pumpkin pie and will thusly increase the edibility factor at least two-fold. And in case I ever get a craving for some Folgers Classic that has been packaged in the US (because God forbid I purchase Folgers Classic that's packaged in Australia), now I know where to go.

Unfortunately, the ingredient that's now eluding me are pie shells. (Also fairly important to the creation of a pie, as I've learned.) You wouldn't think that would be too hard to track down, but I'm having more trouble than anticipated. You see, Aussies seem to like to use the same word for many different things. For example, if you were to talk about "football" or "footy" with an Aussie, that could mean one of five things (and I feel like I'm forgetting even more): Rugby Union, Rugby League, Australian Rules Football, American football or soccer. (Soccer used to be known as soccer here, but as of recently, they've inexplicably decided to start to call it football. You know, just to make things even more hopelessly confusing.)

Anyway, this is a longwinded way of saying that I've run into the same trouble with pies. Because beyond your basic pie with a fruit filling, "pie" is also used to refer to meat pies or pizza. And they don't seem to like to make shells for my most basic of pies. The confusion!

All this said, I'm still confident that I'll be able to track said pie shells down by Saturday. And if not, I guess I'll just avoid this dinner and not return any of Katie's phone calls. I'm sure she won't mind. Good times.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

No comments: