Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gonna run now

One random day in June of last year, I was overcome with the urge to run. I have no idea why, but I just felt like I needed to do it. So I ran. And in a development that I'm sure would be absolutely inconceivable to the Andy of two years ago, I kept running. Not so much a Forrest Gump-style of "kept running", but more of an every other day kind of "kept running."

Strangely enough, it felt good. Well, let's clarify that. For some people swear that they love to run. Love the feeling it gives them. Something about endorphins. Me? When I'm in the act, I absolutely despise it. It's awful, every single step of it. But I push myself, and I force myself to get through it. Because I know what awaits me at the end of the run is a sense of accomplishment and knowing that I've done something that's good for me. And it's that that makes me feel good, that keeps me at it every few times a week.

As I've run more, the thought of running an official race has intrigued me. Not so much to run it on any sort of a super competitive level, but more so just to do it, to be part of something bigger than just me out there in a park by myself, you know, running. And late last year, someone told me about Sydney's City2Surf, the world's biggest "fun run" (bit of a contradiction of terms, in my own estimation), which happens every August.

On the spot, I determined that that was going to be it. City2Surf! I was actually excited. For it's a beautiful course (as you might be able to guess from the name, it starts in the city and ends at the beach), and at 13km and with a hill dubbed "Heartbreak Hill" in the middle, it would push my limits a bit.

But then, calamity. Or not so much. More of just your run-of-the-mill conflict. For I realised after booking my trip to the US that I'd be out of town for the race. But as much as I wanted to run it, I wasn't about to reschedule the trip. So there that went.

But all was not lost. Because just over a month later, Sydney is having its annual Sydney Running Festival, a day with a few races and headlined by its marathon. The marathon, I'm not doing. The half marathon... no, not doing that. But the bridge run, a 9km course from North Sydney, across the Harbour Bridge and ending at the Opera House... that I'm doing. And should be able to do it relatively easily. I think.

So this Sunday, it's on. How fast will I be able to do it? I'm actually not so sure, because when running casually, I don't keep close tabs on how quickly I run. So it'll be interesting to see what time I can do the course in. At the moment, the loose goal is 50 minutes, which I think is pretty achievable. And 45 minutes would be great. Any faster? Probably not gonna happen. But we shall see!

Results to be posted here next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like fish.