Friday, January 11, 2008

Make it rain on them GBRs

Just like my back did a week after my first cricket session, the pain from New Year's is slowly subsiding. And that's a good thing, because (a) I have to get off of this self-pity train and (b) I'd be quite remiss if I didn't start to write about my trip up to Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef the week prior to NYE. Even if every time I drive down the road, I want to jerk the wheel into a goddamned bridge abutment.

Anyway. The trip.

Much like when Scott Storch, Fat Joe and Lil' Wayne enter a strip club, it rained. A lot. (Well, I guess it was a slightly different type of rain than what Storch & co produce, but you get the point. And I had to somehow refer to the title of this post in here.) Being the wet season and all, I guess you'd expect it to rain, but I somehow never really accepted the concept. But there John and I were, trying to lie out on the beach or take a day trip, and it rained. Every single day. Literally.

Now, when you live and sleep in a caravan that should never, ever house two full-grown adults under even the best of circumstances, there's not much to do when it rains. No hotel room to take refuge; just our two front seats and "bed" in the back. So what did we do when it did rain? Drive, baby! "Oh, it's raining again? Well let's just drive further!" But as we made our way up the coast, I turned to John at one point and said, "You know, we can't just keep on driving. If we do, we'll just get to Cairns (our destination) like three days ahead of schedule."

The premature arrival fortunately didn't happen. Because the 1,700 kilometers that we had to cover turns out to be a really, really long distance. So we went about our business (albeit very wetly), saw some stuff and managed to have a grand old time.

Now, I started to write up a big recap of this trip and realized that it was getting out of hand. I have no patience in writing 10,000 words in one post and I'm sure that you have no patience in reading it. So I'm breaking this baby up and we'll cover the trip over the course of a few posts. And to really spice things up, I'm not doing it chronologically. Instead, we're doing this thing High Fidelity-style and breaking it down thematically. So consider this post's theme RAIN. Which will probably be covered in every other post as well, because really, it was a huge part of our trip. Huh-YUGE.

No comments: