Thursday, January 22, 2009

Unsure about my own future

The hammer has dropped -- I've officially been let go from my agency.

Yesterday I wrote about how I was excited for the future of my country. And now, after somehow waking up at 4 this morning -- still quite drunk from last night -- to watch the inauguration festivities, I might be even more excited for the future of the US.

For my own personal future, however, "excited" very much does not apply to my current mindset. And "unsure" might be the kindest and perhaps most incomplete way to sum it up.

I knew this was coming; it wasn't a surprise. But when I was actually called into a room with HR, yeah, it was still a kick in the gut. About ten of us were let go, and that's never going to be pleasant.

What now? Well, pretty much exactly what I've been doing for the last three months: lots and lots of looking, cold calls, informational interviews, etc. Only difference is that now, I'll be doing it from the comfort of my apartment. But today, and maybe for the rest of this week (which will segue quite nicely into a long Australia Day Weekend), I'll be taking it relatively easy, sleeping in, going for some long jogs, taking some jaunts to the beach. Might as well make the best of a very unsure situation.

No comments: