Thursday, January 15, 2009

I’m Twittering... because I’m in Rome?


Veronica Corningstone: But it's very important to me that I be viewed as a professional.
Ron Burgundy: Right. When in Rome. Hmm.
Veronica: Yeah. That, uh, expression doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about.
Ron: Oh. Oh, I'm--
Veronica: What I was saying.
Ron: I still don't quite understand what it means.
Veronica: Oh, no. You'll find it.


Throughout Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Ron Burgundy could never grasp the concept of the phrase, "When in Rome". The idea eluded him, was foreign to him, he simply couldn't connect the dots. And so despite his best efforts, he was never able to master how and when to use it.

For the last year or two, this has been my attitude towards Twitter. I got it... but I didn't get it at all. What purpose did it serve? Did it offer any value? When would I use it? Why would I use it?

To these questions, I still don't have an answer. But like Burgundy, I've decided to dive in head first and hope for the best.

You can view and follow my Twitter feed here or simply follow my updates on the sidebar of this blog, buried underneath the "What is AK All Day?" section.* Maybe one day, like Ron, I’ll find it.

*If I'm really going to make a concerted effort to become a reputable member of Twitter Nation, this clearly needs to be more prominent on the blog's layout, which -- irrespective of this -- has remained stagnant for far too long. So after the 17 months with the same template, I may be looking to mix things up here in the coming days or weeks. You may have noticed a change in the width of the margins; hopefully I can muster a little more than that sooner or later.

No comments: