Saturday, March 15, 2008

Throwin' Kleinballs like it's 2007

My God, it's been nearly three months since I threw my last Kleinball. But on this day, my half year anniversary of being here, I feel like I must bring it back full force. Until it goes away again for another three months.

(By the way, a quick pat on the back for me for keeping up regular to semi-regular posts on this blog. The safe bet when I started this -- and it's still documented to the right -- was that I wouldn't last two months. So here's to proving myself wrong!)
I stumbled across The Breakfast Blog the other day, and I have to say, it makes for a strangely comforting and interesting read. The guy who writes it is based in Melbourne, but he's actually reviewed quite a few breakfast spots in the US, so check it out. Just make sure you're not too hungry before you do, because the first time I read through it, it left my mouth watering. Who's up for some eggs?
In my previous house, I had grown used to not having cable TV. And perhaps even enjoyed it. But then I sat down the other day and watched my first SportsCenter in six frickin' months. Imagine the joy! (Okay, I'm sure many of you would consider this to be anything but a joyful occasion, but still. This is me.) A few minutes in, I caught myself in a full trance: leaning forward in my seat, staring into the TV quite aimlessly, with my mouth wide open. God, who knew I could miss Scott Van Pelt so much?? Now I record every SportsCenter and Pardon the Interruption, much to the chagrin (I'm sure) of my Scottish and English housemates.

What's better? Football or football? The Aussies say football. The Yanks say football. Chaos ensues. (Get it? They both call it football!)

This weekend is the semi-finals of my friends' cricket league. And with only a 9 and a duck to my batting record (you'll just have to trust me that those scores are nothing to write home about... even if I kind of am writing home about them), they've entrusted me to play. No, scratch that: they're simply desperate for a warm body. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will make for a good story.

And finally, as I absolutely dread the approach of my first winter in fifteen months, we're pulling the ol' two hour swing in time difference between Australia and the US. Now that the States has sprung forward an hour, what was a 16/19 hour difference between here and the East and West Coasts is now 15/18 hours. And come March 30, when we fall back an hour here, it will be 14/17 hours. Just in case, you know, anyone cares.

No comments: