Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The toilet flusheth again

So! After establishing in The Precursor that when flushed, water in toilets in the Northern Hemisphere -- or perhaps more precisely, water in the toilet in my parents' house in the Northern Hemisphere* -- flows in a counter clockwise direction, Postcursor Numero Uno failed miserably. For in the follow-up of my extremely (un)scientific study, the water flushed neither clockwise (as I was hoping for) nor counter clockwise. No no. That would be too logical. This water flushed... straight down. Like in an airplane. But without the assistance of, you know, a massive frickin' difference in air pressure. I mean, what is that??!? That just defies any logic of physics.**

*Because really, do we actually know that this is a hemisphere issue, let alone any "issue" at all? Could it all be just a big, old wives' tale?

**Or at least the little of physics that I understand. Or can remember from Marté Paull's 12th grade physics class.

But as promised at the end of the follow-up study, I'm not going to let some little bump in the road get in the way of my pursuit of the truth. Oh no! I came Australia for all sorts of reasons, but to find out if the water in toilets really do flush in a different direction from those in the Northern Hemisphere? Okay, well that didn't crack the Top 10. But maybe Top 20. So, you know, there's that.

Therefore, here is the follow-up to my follow-up, which, well... (sigh)... just have a look:


Do we need to follow up on the follow-up of the follow-up? You better believe it.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Dammit!! You need to solve this puzzle! Can't you fill the sink and see which way the water drains that way? Does it necessarily HAVE to be a toilet?!