Thursday, June 12, 2008

Exhale


I was at work on Wednesday. Yet from 11 to 2, I was merely there in person, not mentally. For during those three hours, I was in my own world, listening to Game 3 of Lakers-Celtics on the Internet. And after being severely frustrated by the Lake Show for the first two games, well, nothing really changed. Because although they won, it was pathetic. There was Kobe, there was Sasha Vujacic and... and... yeeeaaaahhh, that was it.

I'm not going to recap the game here, because (a) I didn't even watch it and (b) you could find a recap much more comprehensive than whatever I could muster in a thousand different places. But my God, what a beast. I can't take this, especially when I feel so disconnected from the whole thing. And to make matters worse, the NBA has seemingly done all it can to screw me, because all seven games of this series (if it even goes that far) have started or are scheduled to start at 11am Sydney time on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Not one game on a weekend for me.

So there I was for Game 3: at work, listening to the game on headphones and doing all I could to not scream out in tortured agony as Kobe carried the team to a dubious victory. Could he do this at least three more times in the next four games? Yeah, I think so. Will he, especially if the other 14 dudes on team continue to piss their pants? Not so sure about that. But you better believe that I'll be listening, constantly teetering between maintaining my composure and being on the brink of releasing an agonized scream that would elicit quite a few bewildered stares from my coworkers. Fan-frickin'-tastic!

1 comment:

reegan said...

I suppose being at work makes it harder to drink your wine while watching the game, huh? Sissy.